Who cares if you never need a see-through laptop screen? This transparent OLED prototype from Samsung is simply cool. To show off the benefits of OLED (organic light-emitting diode) technology, Samsung Mobile Display trotted out this 14-inch laptop. When the device is turned off, the screen is transparent, allowing about 40 percent of the light from behind it to get through. When it’s turned on you can see icons and applications on the screen, as well as anything in the background. Manufacturers like Samsung, Sony and others are interested in OLED because the technology allows for brighter, clearer pictures while using less energy. Samsung says this 14-inch screen is the world’s first and largest transparent OLED panel prototype. The technology is still very much in the research stage, but this panel shows the possibilities. Maybe the future won’t be filled with see-through laptop screens like this, but do you remember the transparent touch screens in “Minority Report?” They no longer seem so far off. What do you think? You wana Buy one?
- Installing Virtue OLED Board & Laser Eyes in Dye DM9 Paintball Gun
- Jailbreak For 4.2/4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/5.0/4.0.1/4.0/3.1.3/3.2 IPad & iPhone 5 3G/3Gs & iPhone 5
- Nike Patents Marty McFly’s Self-Lacing Sneaker
- How can I put Movies on my HTC HD2 for free?
- The Five Best and Five Worst Mountain Dews of All Time (GeekDad Wayback Machine)