This seems to be big news lately but it doesn’t surprise me much. Someone that I follow on Twitter actually commented in February that they were seeing patterns like this. See http://twitter.com/ron_mills/status/1189418872
Unfortunately ron_mills didn’t reference what patterns he was seeing but he called it.
Basically the botnet controller that was recently unveiled works by having infected computers monitor Twitter feeds to take specific actions based on the tweet. In the past instructions were generally sent through IRC, and a whole bunch of other methods. Lets just add Twitter to the list:
Obviously there are more but just think about it this way, any way you can communicate with a system can be used to issue commands remotely if the system is vulnerable.
- Installing Virtue OLED Board & Laser Eyes in Dye DM9 Paintball Gun
- Jailbreak For 4.2/4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/5.0/4.0.1/4.0/3.1.3/3.2 IPad & iPhone 5 3G/3Gs & iPhone 5
- Nike Patents Marty McFly’s Self-Lacing Sneaker
- How can I put Movies on my HTC HD2 for free?
- The Five Best and Five Worst Mountain Dews of All Time (GeekDad Wayback Machine)