Question by Crip Ryda: What are the big cons of rooting your Android phone other than voiding the warranty?
I am looking at rooting my android phone (captivate) so I can do wifi hotspots without having to tether it. Is it worth it?
Answer by BlkBear
Big con is messing up your phone, if you do the wrong thing (depending on the method of rooting you do), and turning your phone into a paper weight.
But the good news is it’s fairly hard to get to a point that you can’t undo a botched root. You void the warranty only of you can’t unroot the phone to have warranty work done or get replacements if needed. This is the main reason all the root directions include backing up your original ROM, so it can be re-installed if need be.
Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!
- Installing Virtue OLED Board & Laser Eyes in Dye DM9 Paintball Gun
- Jailbreak For 4.2/4.3/4.4/4.5/4.6/5.0/4.0.1/4.0/3.1.3/3.2 IPad & iPhone 5 3G/3Gs & iPhone 5
- Nike Patents Marty McFly’s Self-Lacing Sneaker
- How can I put Movies on my HTC HD2 for free?
- The Five Best and Five Worst Mountain Dews of All Time (GeekDad Wayback Machine)